Shivanga Sadhana - A 42 day life transforming experience



Out of several experiences in life, the current one stands out in many different ways. It is called as "Shivaga Sadhana - a 42 day period of Sadhana". More about the Sadhana can be found here.

Its a 42 day regime with some conditions which finally culminates with a trek to Velliangiri mountains, near Coimbatore, Tamilnadu state, close to about 6000 feet. I had some exceptional experiences in this 42 day journey. Would be sharing some in my blog.

One of the important parts of Sadhana is having two meals a day with the first meal after 12 Noon, and NO Tea, NO Coffee for entire 42 days. Meals is manageable but not having tea for 42 days seemed too challenging for me. I could somehow manage this with very minor exceptions. We are also initiated into a power process called as "Shiva Namaskar" which has to be done everyday without exception.

The most striking activity as a part of Sadhana is to get Biksha from a minimum of 21 people. We have been given a hundi for that. The condition is we should get these from unknown people and express deep gratitude bending our head while the person is donating. Even more challenging part of it was that we should be without shirt.

Initially, I thought its just an activity and let me Break some barriers, which will help me to do more uncomfortable things, of course on positive side. I went to Kalimandir, Bandlaguda, in Hyderabad. I went a little around 8 PM, but the Mandir was closed by then. I still tried removing my shirt in the dark and it was such an embarrassing feeling. I stayed for couple of mins without shirt and left from there to come some other day.

As the days were coming close to make the trip to Coimbatore, I had to finish this and then wanted to attempt on one more day. We had a whatsapp group with all the Shivanga's and one of them shared his experience of Bhiksha - he was like, just stand there and with deep devotion keep chanting Shambo and it will be taken care of".

On 9th Feb 2020, Sunday evening, I wanted to try again and finish it off this time. I went to the temple, took Darshan and came out to stand at the exit point for people to donate. This was the place I was standing.



It was so uncomfortable to take off the shirt. Somehow, gathered myself and took the shirt off and stood there. For the first 5-8 mins, several people were staring at me and going. It was too uncomfortable and so embarrassing. Several thoughts were running in my mind, including to just get atleast from 5 people for the day and try some other time. Then I started saying very gently "Shambo, Shambo" with deeper involvement.

(I wanted to take this pic to remember this as a life time memory and finally getting to share today.) 

A ray of hope, a small girl opened my account, her father gave her some coins to give. That moment, I felt so wonderful that something has finally come about.

I started saying Shambo, Shambo and slowly several people started donating. Count for 21 is progressing well. One of the lady was talking to other lady "emo em kastalu unnyao aayanaki" (Don't know what kind of problems he may be in). Several people were staring at me and moving on.

Some more starting giving Biksha. A few of them have removed their footwear, did a Namaste to me and donated. Then I found one beggar who was closely watching me as several people were contributing. For a moment, I thought "Am I competing with them and taking a bit of their share too - may be yes too. Then that lady came closer to me, removed her footwear and took one coin from her begged amount and contributed that in my hundi. She told "Naaku erka, nuvvu shivuni tana ki potthunnav le" (I know that you are going to Shiva with this). I was so overwhelmed, I couldn't resist but to just bow down completely to her and take her blessings.

As the time went by, it just went on and after sometime counting the number of people donated didn't excite much. Finally, I concluded with a pregnant lady who contributed some, I just wished every life that touched me today "a wonderful life". Hope my wishes from heart with a great sense of gratitude made some difference to them. I went to the temple, took Darshan again and left there with a life time experience.

At the end of the day, I felt, it was such an ego melting exercise for me with so much of rejection, thinking about what others think of me etc., etc.,. What I realized is, when I approached it as just another activity, it wasn't happening, when I starting doing it with devotion and great involvement, it has just started happening. May be the intent of whatever we do matters quite a bit than just doing something as activity. I think it applies to everything that we do.

This is a small activity of about an hour but it has left a deep impression in my mind. It might have resulted in several small changes that might have happened to my mindset. It also reminds me that, One of the finest experiences of life have nothing to do with money.

I have completed my 40 days and headed to Coimbatore for the culmination with a trek to veliangiri mountains - a 17 hours trek from 10 PM to next day 3 PM without anybit of sleep. Immedaitely after the trek I felt, I should never ever do such a trek again, but the memories of it make me say "Every one should definitely try this atleast once and it is also making me consider to do one more time. Hopefully it happens. The first pic is the one that my brother Raja and I took when we were on the peak of trek. Shall share that amazing experience soon. 

Comments

  1. Amazing experience, superbly narrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Will connect with you about this. I kept imaging how will I manage if I ever do it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Guruji used to say an ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching. This is it. Blessed you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you will feel better if that treking happens at daytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful sir, this experience makes you to have more strength, stability of life and also better understandable person in the society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you have got some greatest of experiences Anna...
    Thanks for sharing!❤️
    By doing this....I believe one can cleanse our mental and physical selfs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Touching indeed, what a learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful experience Chandu. Well articulated. The memories and the impact might have been phenomenal both or body and mind. I Will also try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful experience of yours and your emotions beautifully written .Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raja Sekhar PutchakayalaJanuary 24, 2024 at 9:34 PM

    Thanks for sharing this amazing experience and importantly the impact to the very core process of having to do any task with intent. Shambhoo 🙏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment